Bursa City Museum is the museum which is in service in the old court house since 2004, and where the changes and transmutations of Bursa in its 7000 years of history are displayed. The museum was opened to visit on February 14th, 2004. The building of the museum was built as a court house by Ekrem Hakkı Ayverdi in 1926. There is a chronological arrangement on the first floor of the two storey building. On the second floor there is a thematic arrangement. The information about Bursa is introduced in the museum with objects like waxworks of 6 Ottoman Sultans who lived in Bursa, adornments animating the traditional commerce life and the topographical model of the city.
The foundings received from 3000 B.C. to the end of the Byzantine Period, had been collecting in Bursa Erkek Lisesi and Green Madrasa since 1904. They were set on display in 1972 in the Archeology Museum in Kulturpark.
HACIVAT & KARAGOZ MUSEUM
Rumour has it that Hacivat and Karagoz are two workers who work on the construction of a mosque in Orhan Gazi period in Bursa. They do not work properly and they make other workers slack off. Orhan Gazi says the architect of the mosque that if the mosque is not finished on time he will cut off his head. The architect says that it is Karagoz and Hacivat’s fault. So the two men are executed by decapitating. Sheik Kusteri, who loves Karagoz and Hacivat makes their puppets and starts to play them behind the scenes. That’s how Karagoz and Hacivat are so well known.
The real name of Hacivat is said to be Hacı Ivaz. The character of Hacivat represents the order. He is smooth-tongued. He always looks out for himself. He likes to talk in foreign words as he studied a little. He knows everyone who comes to the scene, he helps them. He doesn’t work by the sweat of his brow. He makes Karagoz work and leans on him. He has different images as Goat Hacivat, Naked Hacivat, Steward Hacivat.
ESAT ULUMAY OTTOMAN JEWELLERY AND CLOTHES MUSEUM
A museum which has been in service since 2004. The museum which is located in front of Muradiye Kulliye, in Poet Ahmet Pasha Madrasa, was opened in September 18th 2004. 18 different collections which Esat Ulumay, one of the founders of the Anatolian Folklore Foundation, collected in 40 years, are displayed in the museum.
In the museum where 70 clothes and 400 jewels from Anatolia and Rumelia which go back to 17th century are displayed, there is also Turkish coffee, bathhouse, materials of horse riding, weapons, knives and accessories.
BURSA ANATOLIAN CARS MUSEUM
It is the first and only Anatolian Cars Museum of Turkey. An old silk factory in Umurbey, covering a 17.00 m2 zone, was restored by TOFAS and opened to visit in 28 June 2002 as a museum.
Architect A. Naim ARnas, MSU Faculty of Architecture Department of Industrial Products Chairman Prof. Onder Küçükermen and executive director of TOFAS and designer Jan Nahum got together and decided to establish the TOFAS Bursa Anatolian Cars Museum where an old silk factory which was introduced to that by Mayor Erdem Saker and deputy mayor Dr. Engin Yenal, was located.
In the museum which is located in the main building of the old silk factory, you can go into a time tunnel beginning from a wheel dating back 2600 years to motor vehicles produced by TOFAS. When you enter the museum, Ucpinar Tumulus which belongs to 2600 years ago and images showing the excavations welcome you. The original car and wheel parts coming from a tumulus in Balikesir make the starting point of the museum.
You will come across the store in which cart and coach production is made as you go on in the museum. You will be surprised to see that it takes months to construct a cart in this stores which is made up of original kits only. And it does not end there; the carts and the tackles were sent to saddlery for canvas works. The accessories were added upon the demand of master or the buyer. Of course, you can see the saddlery in the museum.
OTTOMAN HOUSE MUSEUM
In the museum which is located in front of Muradiye Kulliya in Muradiye District, Ottoman lifestyle of 17th century is displayed. There are harem and selamlik parts and places for daily usage in the building which was turned into a museum in 1989.
There are clothes belonging to the period in the museum. The museum which is the oldest and the most beautiful mansion standing in Bursa is thought to be built in 17th century and used as the mansion of Murat 2.
MUDANYA HOUSE OF TRUCE
The structure where Mudanya Truce was signed and which belonged to a Russian named Aleksander Ganyanof’ at the end of XIX. century, was bought by a businessman named Hayri İpar from Mudanya and it was opened after being turned into a museum im 1937. Later on in 1959 it was transfered to the Ministry of Culture.
The structure is an Ottoman house built at the end on XIX. century. Its two floors can be visited. The room where the truce was signed and study rooms can be found on the first floor, while on the second floor there are bedrooms of İsmet İnönü and Asım Gündüz Paşa. Funitures, pictures and documents of the truce period are being displayed in the museum.
It was built in the name of Nilufer Hatun, the mother of Murat I, in 1388 and was opened to visit as a museum in 1960 (The Imaret of Nilufer Hatun).
THE MUSEUM OF SEMAKI HOUSE
The Museum of Semaki House in Yenişehir, Bursa was built in 1th century by Şemaki Family who came and settled in Anatolia from Şemaki Town of Iran. The house which can be taken as a mansion is two-stroied. There is a gizzard on the ground floor, a kitchen and a depot on the right, and two rooms on the left.
Second floor can be reached by a wooden staircase. There is an iwan sofa and three rooms on this floor.
Ataturk Museum on Çekirge Road is a mansion which was built in 19th century. It was bought and given to Ataturk by Bursa Municipality when he came to Bursa for the second time in January 20 1923.
Donated to the Bursa municipality in 1938 by Ataturk, and gyrated to the Ministry of Culture in 1968, this mansion was turned into a museum in 1973, on 50th anniversary of the republic.
MUDANYA TAHIR PASHA MANSION
Belonging to Russian Alexander Ganyanof in the end of 19th century, the building where the Mudanya Truce was signed was bought by businessman Hayri Ipar, turned into a museum in 1937, and gyrated to the Ministry of Culture in 1959.
The building is an Ottoman house which was built at the end of 19th century. Two floors are open to visit. There are salon and working rooms on the first and, the bedrooms of Ismet Inonü and Asım Gunduz Pasha on the second floor. The furniture, photos and documents of the time of truce are displayed.
Ayasofya Museum is in the center of Iznik, on the corner where Ataturk Avenue and Kılıçaslan Avenue cross. Hagia Sophia Church is a basilica type structure which was built in 4th century. It was turned into a mosque in 1331, after the Ottomans took Izmir.
The first excavation was made by the German Institute of Archeology of Istanbul in 1936, and more followed it afterwards. Today, it is a monumental museum connected to the Ministry of Culture. There are the images of Jesus, Mother Mary and Ioannes and ground mosaics in the museum.
In addition to this, architectural parts of Byzantine and traces of Ottoman period can be seen. The exposal and disposal works of the museum were done by the General Directorate of Museums, and it was opened to visit on August 30th, 1960. The Hagia Sophia of Iznik is under the direction of Iznik Museum.
It is a museum which was built as a hunting mansion in Abdulmecit Period in Temenyeri on the foothill of Uludağ. The mansion where Ataturk used to stay during his Bursa visits was opened to visit in 2003. It is also called Ataturk and Republic Mansion as it sheltered Ataturk.
It was constructed in 1859. This mansion was completed in 19 days. . Abdülaziz and Mehmet V (Sultan Reşat) also stayed int he mansion. Ataturk stayed in this mansion 4 times except his official visits.